Pickles are made by keeping food in an acidic solution for a long period of time. Vinegar or brine can be used as the acidic solution. Pickling is the fermentation technique used to prolong the life of food, and the resultant food is what we know as pickles.
Mango pickle is delicious and somewhat sour in taste (that’s the characteristic of pickles). Preparing mango pickles at home is easy but you must follow the right recipe to make a delightful mango pickle Punjabi style at home.
As mango pickle is prepared commonly in all parts of the country and worldwide, the recipe for Punjabi mango pickle changes from region to region. Though, you can confidently follow this recipe to prepare the tastiest mango pickle Punjabi style at your home. Read ahead to get the details about ingredients and preparation method to make mango pickle at home.
- Unripe Mangoes
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 kg
- Mustard (Sarson) Seeds– ¼ cup
- Fenugreek (Meethi) Seeds– ¼ cup
- Nigella (Kalonji) Seeds – ¼ cup
- Salt – ¼ cup
- Fennel (Saunf) Seeds – ¼ cup
- Turmeric Powder – 3 Tablespoons
- Before starting, take all these things in separate bowls and place them in sunlight for 1 to 2 hours. Carefully clean and wipe the mangoes and let them dry completely.
- Then, take fenugreek and mustard seeds into a grinder and grind them well.
- Get the mangoes and chop them in suitable sizes as you like.
- Remove the mango stones.
- You do not have to discard the outer skin of the unripe mangoes.
- Make sure, you have 7-8 cups of sliced mangoes.
- Now, put these sliced mangoes in a large steel or glass bowl.
- First, add the mixture of fenugreek and mustard seed
- Then add all remaining spices and at last, add salt as per taste.
- Now, mix all these ingredients firmly with a spoon so that all spices stick to the sliced mangoes.
- You can check the taste on one or two slices and can add more spices if needed.
- Add ½ cup of mustard oil and mix well.
- With a clean spoon, put this mixture in 1 or 2 glass or ceramic jars.
- Close the lid and place it in the sunlight for 3 to 4 days.
- Place the jar at a good place where sun rays reach the jar easily.
- Keep the jar in a cool dry place in the evening and repeat all this for 4 days.
- Every evening, mix the mixture gently and bring the mango slices to the top.
- On the fourth day, add 2.5 cups of mustard oil to the jar and mix it gently.
- Make sure that mustard oil is 2-3 inches above the mixture at this stage.
- Keep the jar in a cool dry place for almost four days until it gets pickled.
- Your mango pickle Punjabi style is ready.
The mango pickle prepared in this way will surely delight your tongue. You can eat this mango pickle with any meal. It can also be utilized as a snack, which can prove to be a great substitute for unhealthy snacks you eat every day.